About the Department
Small business professionals, owners, investors, job-seekers, and researchers turn to the Business, Economics, and Labor department when they want answers. This department provides a wealth of information on topics including accounting, careers, currency, real estate, statistics, trade, stocks, and more.
The Cleveland Public Library houses one of the country’s most extensive online collections business directories and databases. These are typically premium subscription resources to which we purchase access on your behalf. These powerful research tools are free to valid cardholders. Some require a CPL library card, some a library card from a participating CLEVNET library, and for others you must come to the Library in person. Many resources can be accessed online. If you need assistance using these tools, please contact us.
- Careers: industry and company profiles, job descriptions, education and training requirements, wages, career guides.
- Entrepreneurship: How to start a business, demographics, market outlook, directories of suppliers and venture capitalists. Free programs for developing a business.
- Cleveland Company Profiles: Comprehensive collection of newspaper clippings, annual reports, and other materials on local businesses.
- Companies and Industries: Make well-informed business decisions with online databases, databases for in-library use only, and print resources.
- Foreign Trade: Directories and references for exporters, agents, distributors, wholesalers, and world banks.
- Labor and Management: Current and historical labor statistics, earnings, productivity. Human resources, business operations, and board relations are just some of the topics covered in the management collection.
- Personal Wealth: Live debt-free, learn how to budget or invest, and improve your credit rating.
- Transportation: Historical and current material on railroads, waterways, airlines, public transportation.