The Cleveland Public Library constructed some branch libraries in buildings that could be adapted into a store or business. The branches were in neighborhoods where the population and library service needs fluctuated. Jefferson is an example of a convertible type building: plain brick, semi-fireproof, factory type sky lights.
Ora Coltman, Jefferson’s architect, had worked for the Cleveland Public Library as a supervising architect and building inspector. The library hired Coltman to draw plans and supervise the construction three libraries, including this branch. In 1918, Jefferson opened its doors in the neighborhood of Tremont. The 6,900-square-foot branch was updated in 1981.
The library and its holdings reflect the eclectic nature of its patrons: WiFi accessibility, music, and movie collections feature prominently. Community outreach for adults and children as well as partnerships with schools remain some of the top priorities at our Jefferson Branch.
Two art pieces stand out in this branch’s collection: Out of the Past, the Present; Out of the Material, the Spiritual, Ambrozi Paliwoda, oil on canvas, 1933-1934; and View of Tremont From the Clark Avenue Bridge, Ora Coltman, oil on canvas, 1920.