At 25,000 square feet, the Carnegie West branch in Ohio City is the largest branch of our library system.
Carnegie West opened in 1910 and its architecture can be described as modified Renaissance with elements of classical style.
The library is located in triangular site surrounded by a park. The building’s materials of brick, limestone and terra cotta provide a contrast of texture and color. The interior is decorated with plaster bas reliefs of Thorwaldsen’s Triumphal Entry of Alexander the Great into Babylon and parts of the Parthenon frieze. The original auditorium in the basement could seat 650 people. Carnegie West was completely remodeled in 1979, and was originally designed by Edward Tilton.