The architectural firm of Howell and Thomas designed a number of prominent residences, schools, churches and commercial buildings in Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio from 1908 to the 1940s. The firm was established by Carl Eugene Howell and James William Thomas, Sr. in Columbus, Ohio in 1908 having originally met as roommates while attending the University Of Pennsylvania School Of Architecture. Known for their Revival style homes, Howell and Thomas designed a number of residences in Columbus and Bexley, Ohio for prominent residents.
The firm established an office in Cleveland in 1914 after they received a contract with the B. R. Deming Company to design model homes in the Euclid Golf Neighborhood, on land formerly home to Ohio's first professionally designed 18 hole golf course. The first home designed by Howell and Thomas was that of B. R. Deming's and it served as a advertisement for the neighborhood and the types of properties that could be found within its borders. The homes were not required to follow a set architectural style and as such the Euclid Golf Neighborhood consists of an eclectic assortment of high-quality grand homes.
In addition to the Euclid Golf Neighborhood, Howell and Thomas designed a number of residences throughout Cleveland, including the Van Sweringen brother's Shaker Heights development. Howell and Thomas also designed YMCA buildings in Zanesville and Cleveland, schools in Lakewood and Shaker Heights, and churches in Oxford and Canton. After Howell's death in 1930, Thomas continued on with the firm, designing and updating newspaper plants throughout the United States. Twenty newspaper plants were completed, including the Houston Press, the Youngstown Vindicator-Telegram and the New York Telegram.
The Howell and Thomas collection contains a significant amount of financial records and correspondence relating to specific projects for which Howell and Thomas were commissioned and furniture and décor purchases made by the duo for residences and commercial buildings they designed. Combine that information with the photographs found in this collection and Howell and Thomas' architectural drawings also housed in the Special Collections at the Cleveland Public Library and a significant record of these historic residences and commercial and civic buildings can be created. Additional photographs from the Howell and Thomas Collection can be found here. Visit the Special Collections Department located on the 3rd floor of the Main Library to view this collection and other unique collections.